“Breathe in, breathe out.” Mr. Miyagi’s sage advice on the importance of breathing is excellent—unless the air we breathe in is of bad quality.
Human beings in the modern world have primarily become an indoor species, spending up to 90 percent of our time indoors. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Studies conducted by the EPA and others show that indoor environments sometimes can have levels of pollutants that are actually higher than levels found outside. Pollutants in our indoor environment can increase the risk of illness.” Even clean buildings can have episodes of poor indoor office air quality.
Clearly, air quality is high on the health priority list—and hiring a professional janitorial cleaning service can help you improve indoor air quality for your employees.
How bad air quality affects employee performance
Poor indoor air quality can affect any employee, but particularly employees with chronic medical conditions such as asthma, allergies, and respiratory issues. The stress that bad air quality puts on the human body can also cause more frequent illnesses, leading to sick days out of the office and lower productivity, not to mention the long-term impact breathing toxic chemicals can have on employees’ health.
Some of the primary causes of bad air quality include:
- Biological contaminants—such as mold, bacteria, viruses, dust mite allergens, animal dander, and pollen.
- Chemical pollutants—including tobacco smoke, chemical emissions (from toxic cleaning products), and gasses such as carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide.
- Particles—solid or liquid substances that are light enough to be suspended in the air such as dust, dirt, or other substances that are drawn into the building from the outside.
Studies have shown that office employees who worked in a cleaner, greener air environment were more productive, less sick, and missed fewer days of work. Hiring a professional cleaning service to maintain your office’s air quality will enable your employees to function well and enjoy their environment. You want to provide the best quality air possible for your employees—here’s how a commercial cleaning service can help.
How can a commercial cleaning service improve indoor air quality?
Building cleaning services maintain a regular schedule, enabling your business to stay on top of air pollutants and keep your office environment healthy. Green cleaning products, thorough cleaning of ventilation fans and high-moisture zones, and consistent removal of dust and particles by a professional cleaning service will keep your office clean and improve indoor air quality.
At Trinity Building Services, we offer green cleaning services that meet your needs. Green cleaning products are free of harmful chemicals and carcinogens that can cause health issues.
Many air pollutants hide in obscure places that are easily overlooked during normal cleaning maintenance. Dirt, dust, mold, mites, and pollen can linger on furniture, behind cabinets and desks, and near vents. Consistent vacuuming, upholstery cleaning, and wiping down vents are just a few ways a commercial cleaning service will help maintain indoor air quality in your office.
4 Ways you can protect your office air quality
Maintaining excellent air quality is a team effort. Here are a few ways you can encourage your employees to help ensure your office is a healthy work environment:
- Do not block air vents. Free airflow contributes to better indoor air quality.
- Dispose of garbage properly and promptly. Bad odors can contribute to poor air quality, as well as attract insects and rodents.
- Comply with all building smoking regulations. Tobacco smoke can trigger many respiratory conditions and linger in the air long after the actual smoking period.
- Promptly clean up spills and report any water leaks. Mold is insidious in its ability to grow quickly and cause devastating health issues, so ensuring your office stays dry is an excellent way to reduce the risk of mold growth.
Combining with the regular maintenance a professional cleaning service can provide, these steps will go a long way toward improving indoor office air quality.
Hire the best commercial cleaning service in San Francisco
Not all professional cleaning services are created equal. Many commercial cleaning services vacuum, mop, and empty trash cans but don’t provide deep cleaning that contributes to better indoor air quality and healthier, happier employees. Trinity Building Services keeps your facility clean, green, and compliant with a full range of commercial cleaning services in San Francisco. We can help with all your commercial cleaning service needs, whether you have a small office, a multi-suite corporate facility, or a large retail space.
Contact us to learn about the many reasons our customers choose to hire a commercial cleaning service in the San Francisco Bay Area, from daily office cleaning to deep cleaning to window washing and air vent cleaning. Call us today at 650-873-2121 or request a free commercial cleaning quote online to learn more about the benefits of hiring a commercial cleaning service in San Francisco.